Career Services Specialist
University of Massachusetts Boston
november 9, 2015
Career Services Specialist University of Massachusetts Boston The Career Services Specialist, within the Office of Career Services and Internships, is responsible for developing and administering career programs and services for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as alumni from the College of Liberal Arts (CLA). The incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of a career development program, including conducting individual career appointments, career opportunities, career fair opportunities and special events for the students within CLA; and will cultivate and maintain relationships with key constituents with the purpose of developing and providing career development opportunities.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- In consultation with the Director of Career Services and Internships and the Dean for the College of Liberal Arts (CLA), develop and administer career advising and career counseling and other workshops and programs to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as alumni from CLA; coordinate career counseling activities and programs, as well as advise and counsel students regarding career selection, job searches and internships;
- Develop and implement a career development program, career fair opportunities and special events for students within CLA, as well as students who are interested in and/or applying to law and/or graduate school; manage the evaluation process of events and services offered to students;
- Collaborate with faculty, CLA administrators and staff across campus to promote opportunities and manage career counseling activities and programs to students by utilizing the Career Services Office Career Development Model ? "My Career On Track;"
- Develop a comprehensive system that prepares students for all aspects of the career development process, including resume preparation, interview strategies, development of internship and career goals, graduate school research and preparation, check-in and support during students' academic and post-academic career and follow-up evaluations and assessments with both students and employers;
- Manage and develop, as well as assist others, in one or more programs and/or projects related to:
- Pre-Law: provide one-on-one support to students and alumni who are in the process of applying to law school;
- Management Achievement Program (MAP): responsible for developing and presenting career workshops;
- Peer career advising: hiring, training and supervising a group of peer career advisors who assist with advising and registration sessions during orientation;
- Outreach to faculty: offer workshops and provide resources for the colleges and faculty advisors;
- Communication with students through social media: distribution of news and information through email and by using technology as a communication tool in career advising;
- Outreach to alumni: offer workshops and provide resources for the alumni in collaboration with Alumni Relations.
- Administer and interpret appropriate assessment instruments which assist students in planning, goal setting and progressing academically;
- Assist with the development, tracking and improving of performance indicators for both internal and external reporting purposes;
- Work with the CLA, as well as key departments across campus to identify employers, employer associations and professional associations to cultivate in the creation of opportunities and programs; establish and maintain a positive rapport with the community, alumni, civic and professional organizations, local business and industry community and other potential employers for the purpose of promoting the university, as well as CLA and its students as prospective employees;
- Ensure and maintain an involvement with student, departmental and community events that are of a benefit to CLA, as well as to the university;
- Write and design appropriate communications/publications, including annual and college reports, and manage the distribution accordingly; develop handouts, packets and related materials for students and alumni; gather resources for students and alumni;
- Represent the Office of Career Services and Internships and the College of Liberal Arts on University committees;
- Maintain positive relationships with CLA faculty and staff, including delivery of classroom presentations, as needed;
- Work with the CLA, employers, advisors, staff and faculty across campus and career services/employment professional associations to maintain and strengthen existing career development programming;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration, Career/Employment Counseling or a closely related field, and a minimum of three-five years (3-5) of work experience in college/university career service, in workforce development/employment and/or in sourcing college talent for an employer is required. Demonstrated experience effectively managing and developing new programs and/or initiatives is required. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with employers, administrators, faculty and students is required. Some evening and weekend work required.
- Knowledge of career development theory;
- Knowledge of the liberal arts job search;
- Knowledge of career assessment tools (FOCUS II) and ability to interpret results with students and alumni;
- Knowledge of best practices in workforce development and working with business sector employers;
- Knowledge of various administrative software applications and programs, including Microsoft Office;
- Knowledge of and ability to work with diverse student populations to effectively prepare them for employment;
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects simultaneously and balance priorities;
- Ability to manage complex tasks under time constraints, while maintaining strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team capacity with a broad range of staff to accomplish departmental, program and university goals;
- Ability to approach the position in a results-oriented sense of responsibility, collegiality and collaboration; * Ability to work under pressure and under tight timeframes and deadlines;
- Ability to use independent judgment, work with discretion and be entrusted with confidential information;
- Ability to manage major projects from development to implementation;
- Ability to evaluate programs and collect and analyze data;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals;
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong commitment to student success and customer service.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, the University of Massachusetts Boston complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional work references at https://umb.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=65600 Professional Union. Benefited. Full time. Grade 31. Hiring salary range: $46,434 - 54,954 (Normal starting salary: $46,434 - 50,787). Unrestricted funding. Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date. Closing date for applications: December 3, 2015. UMass Boston provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/jkqmkt2sbz