Director, Career Services
Salem State University
The Director of Career Services is a key member of the senior leadership team of the Associate Vice-President and Dean of Student Life. The Director is expected to continuously explore and implement best practices in Career Services to establish the vision, direction and priorities for Career Services and provides leadership with regard to all office programs and services in support of the University's heightened goals for continuous quality improvement in the career outcomes of students and graduates. Of particular importance is support of the university's aggressive goals for expanding the career readiness of all graduates and increasing the percentage of graduates with internship experience.
The Director is responsible for establishing and managing strategic partnerships and relationships with university academic and administrative departments, employers, and other external constituents. The Director will be responsible for aggressively exploring partnerships with corporations and non-profit entities in the North Shore and Boston to assist students in developing their experience and job readiness. The panoply of services offered must be continually evaluated and enhanced. In addition, the Director must engage with the SSU community in projects that will make students ready for the job market.
Required qualifications include:
1. Master's degree in counseling, higher education administration, human resources, or corporate employee development and succession planning or a related field.
2. 5-7 + years in higher education career services experience at the college or university level. Other related higher education experience, corporate recruiting and/or university relations experience or experience in related fields will also be considered.
3. Ability to aggressively market SSU students to potential employers, leveraging contacts with SSU grads;
4. Skill in organizing and implementing job fairs, speaker series and other activities that will prepare students for employment;
5. Ability to establish partnerships tailored to particular job areas or student needs potentially involving members of the Board of Trustees, the SSU Foundation, the Small Business Development Center, etc.;
6. Skill in change management with complex organizations;
7. Staff supervision and leadership experience.
8. Project management, planning, assessment and evaluation experience.
9. Knowledge of career development theory, the job search process, and labor force trends.
10. Training, counseling, and/or advising experience.
11. Excellent written and oral communication skills including strong public speaking ability.
12. Knowledge of career services technology and social media applications.
13. Ability to work under pressure; results driven with strong analytical skills and high degree of comfort with and knowledge of technology and technology applications.
14. Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion and the ability to work with diverse populations and individuals. Preferred qualifications include: Ability to lead a team of professional staff in a unionized labor environment
SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. PERSONS OF COLOR, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY URGED TO APPLY.
To see the full list of benefits, review the complete job description and to apply online, please visit https://jobs.salemstate.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=51199 , and attach your résumé and cover letter.